Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Canoe Trip 2009

Good Morning to the world!
Am I enjoying the view or pooping in a bucket?

One of the beautiful canyons we experienced!

My favorite campsite of the trip, our deserted island... it was so awesome!

At Green River State Park, the start of the journey only 68 miles to go! Labyrinth Canyon
here we come..... what a great way to spend our anniversary. We saw so many beautiful things and paddling was pretty mellow. Our longest day was 23 miles and I was a bit bitchy and hungry by the time we found camp. But after a delicious river meal and a fire all was well
and we slept amazing!
We saw geese, wild dogs, blue heron, deer, a buck and we think a bear or a beaver... I say large beaver because I didn't want it to actually be a bear. Come to find out Ry actually did see some bear scat and was nice not to tell me and just quietly put the paddle by the tent for protection.... The echoes were amazing and we thought a lot about how cool it would be to hear Native American ceremonies in the canyon. What a serene place to relax and unwind, we did not see another soul for 2 and a half days.....
After 3 days of hard paddling the last night was spent on the island in the sand with red canyon walls, a great sunset and sunrise and only 9-ish miles to get to our take-out. We saw a cool inscription from 1836 up a canyon on the way. Huck became a great river dog sleeping under his polka dot umbrella and was hilarious checking stuff out. The wind made the going slow but we made it to Mineral Bottom by about noon.
AND!
We had some beer fairies leave us a treat in our car somehow still cold and boy did it ever make us smile...thanks Chelsea and Derek for braving the road and finding our car ...that was such a sweet end to a great trip.



2 comments:

The Velas said...

How beautiful!!! Looks like you enjoyed yourselves-Happy one year with many more to come. Love you guys.

Hollie and Mike Christiansen said...

Gorgeous! What a fabulous way to spend your anniversary. I am saying you are pooping in a bucket...am I ever going to really know? :)
You guys are awesome! I wish I had your adventerous spirit!!